Thursday, February 3, 2011

...and we're off!

R decided it was time to learn to read, so we signed up with Headsprout once again and luckily R loves it as much as H did.  As expected she wanted to do all the episodes at once so we let her go and sat back to watch. It's wonderful to see her so engaged with the program and the peals of laughter coming from the study just fills me with joy.  After a few days she decided that perhaps just one episode a day would be best as "it's getting a bit hard now".

We had our first Saturday Science session on the weekend. It involved mixing various white powders together and eating them. I'm sure there was alot of important chemistry involved with this experiment and the girls seemed to enjoy it (especially the eating part - the final product was sherbert!).  I didn't take any pictures sadly, as Jan and I were too busy gossiping and eating plum cake.

On Tuesday we began my ambitious Aesop's fable study. R lost interest after reading the fable, and she knew all about gravity already so I didn't really need to teach her anything.  It's true!  I asked her why, if we jumped up high, didn't we float off up in the air? She said, whilst rolling her eyes at me,"Gravity".  I asked her where she thought gravity came from.  "The earth, mummy" followed by a big sigh.
Meanwhile H was rolling about on my bed laughing her head off.  It seems that H has already taught R about gravity.  Hmmm...I don't think they need me at all.

We made tortoises from paper plates..


We did some gravity experiments that I found in a book,  then the girls came up with their own experiment:


I think from now on I'll leave the learning to them. They appear to know what they're doing...

No comments:

Post a Comment